RE: How to encode abbreviations [Was: Representative glyphs for combining kannada signs]

From: Keutgen, Walter (walter.keutgen@be.unisys.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 04:12:10 CST

    Antoine, Doug,

    my understanding of the intend of the Unicode standard is that such superscripting pertains to 'rich text properties'.

    Some superscripts are encoded as characters. For historical reasons e.g. compatibility with existing charcater sets?

    If complaining that U+1D50 and 1D49 do not display, where is the 'l' for 'M<super>lle' and the 's' for the plurals?

    One could add the whole alphabet(s) as superscripts to be sure and, why not, as subscripts as well for other languages.

    In real every day usage, in French 'mechanical typewriting', 'PC typewriting' and *hand writing* one did/does not superscript the endings of the abbreviations 'Mme, Mmes, Mlle, Mlles, Dr, Drs, Ir, Irs'.

    In hand writing one always uses superscripts for ordinal numbers, which is not possible in flat text PC writing and required some fumbling whith the mechanical typewriter. I.e. '1er', '2ème' or '2e' etc require superscripts, likewise the forms derived from the Latin wording '1o, 2o' etc for which one uses the '°'. One also often sees Me (maître = master in law) with a superscripted e. Now as to know whether '°' is a superscripted 'o' or the degree sign, my keyboard does not tell me. I would bed however that the '°' often is smaller than the superscripted e.

    Walter