Re: Unicode, SMS, PDA/cellphones

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 19:13:10 CDT

    I wrote:

    > Richard was suggesting that SCSU would have been a more appropriate
    > encoding for SMS than the GSM character set. It allows access to the
    > full Unicode repertoire and encodes most Latin-based orthographies,
    > including Romanian, much more efficiently than GSM.

    Before anyone calls me out on this...

    I guess I shouldn't have said "much more efficiently" since GSM does use
    a 7-bit byte. You'd have to average one 2-byte character for every six
    1-byte characters to break even, which generally isn't true for (e.g.)
    Spanish or German. Still, for Romanian and any other text where
    everything falls back to 2 bytes, SCSU would be a clear win.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA