Re: Unicode, SMS, PDA/cellphones

From: Cristian Secară (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 06:34:32 CDT

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:01:29 +1000, Dean Harding wrote:

    > It's a wonder MMS works at all, and the only reason it DOES
    > work is because when you sign up for MMS service with your telco,
    > they ask you "what phone do you have?"

    That can be a wrong assumption. For example, that was true when I first
    activated my MMS service, but then I changed my phone and I configured
    all the GPRS, MMS, WAP and e-mail stuff for myself. So if they rely on
    my initial data, now that data is no longer valid.

    [anyway, as far as I can see around me, MMS was born already dead:
    because of the requirement to properly configure the phone, *even on
    receiving*, sending a MMS will always fail – the user will receive a
    SMS notification with details on how to see its message on web, but the
    procedure is soo complicated, a registrarion is required, the MMS will
    expire after some time, in practice it is easier and quicker forget
    about MMSs, or to meet that person and give directly the material on CD
    or smth.]

    Cristi

    --
    Cristian Secară