Re: UTF-8 can be used for more than it is given credit

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 13:40:17 CDT

    Theodore H. Smith <delete at elfdata dot com> wrote:

    > You obviously know a bit more about Unicode than me, I'm not familiar
    > with those glyphs or what the output should be, or even why my
    > conversion table creation code didn't create the correct table to
    > handle this case.

    Please stop saying "glyphs" in this context. None of this discussion
    has to do with the exact appearance of these characters, and how their
    appearance might differ depending on the font or context or rendering
    engine. That is what "glyph" refers to, and why it is different from
    "character," the abstract concept of a unit of writing, or "code point,"
    a numeric value to which a character may (or may not) be assigned.

    Trying to help,

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA