Re: triple diacritic (sch with ligature tie in a German dialect writing document)

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 21:31:27 CDT

    Karl Pentzlin wrote on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 12:48 AM

    > Looking at
    > http://www.beepworld.de/memberdateien/members85/friedhelmschmitz/dielnschbank1.pdf
    > p. 9 and 11 (see attached image from p. 9), you see the sequence "sch"
    > with a ligature tie below (representing the phoneme written z in other
    > languages).
    >
    > If I had to propose this for Unicode, I would propose a single "triple
    > diacritic" COMBINING TRIPLE BREVE BELOW, rather than precombined
    > lower-, title- and uppercase "sch with ligature tie" in rough analogy
    > to U+017A LATIN SMALL LETTER TH WITH STRIKETHROUGH.

    I think triple diacritic is the way to go, though it would be good to
    collect examples of triphthongs and trigraphs for which such marks exist. I
    think I've seen reference to a combining triple breve. We also need single
    accents to go above and below the double (i.e. two letter) marks - they
    might also serve for the triple marks. The sort of think I have in mind is
    a way of encoding the acute in a double breve plus acute, as you might want
    to mark a stressed broken vowel in Old English.

    Rendering support might not be easy, though. Your font might need to
    convert the character sequences to ones in a prepared list.

    Richard.