Re: Stacked Latin letters

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 22:17:42 CDT

    Karl Pentzlin from Tuesday, June 13, 2006 on 12:30 AM

    > As the two letters of each pair have the same size, combinations of
    > base letters and combining letters above are not appropriate.
    >
    > If you had to propose these letters for Unicode, would you
    > a.) propose a "stacking joiner",

    FWIW (a) is my preference. I appreciate that stacking letters are easier
    for layout, but Unicode is already littered with precombined Latin
    characters because they were easier for layout. This stacking joiner would
    be applicable to at least the Latin and Devanagari scripts. Possibly we
    need a 'small stacking joiner', but we are already acquiring disorderly
    stacked reduced clones. So that's 4 stackers:

    stacking joiner above
    stacking joiner above with reduction
    stacking joiner below (example?)
    stacking joiner below with reduction.

    Now, where do the diacritics go? On the combination, Indic style, or on the
    immmediately preceding base character? I suppose there's the ghastly
    possibility of having to distinguish, the interpretation of <a, stacking
    joiner above with reduction, r> plus combining acute accent on the whole
    from <a, stacking joiner above with reduction, U+0155 SMALL LETTER R WITH
    ACUTE>. Unicode avoids bracketing, and sometimes the lack is very
    incovenient.

    I suppose we're going to have invent the concept of **unstable**
    'semi-canonical' equivalence to deal with combining characters that already
    exist.

    Richard.