Re: are Unicode codes somehow specified in official national linguistic literature ? (worldwide)

From: Erkki Kolehmainen (erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 02:35:46 CDT

    Re attached:

    The UCS (ISO/IEC 10646) and Unicode code points are identical, so this
    doesn't cause any problem for official referencing.

    Since ISO/IEC/JTC1 is not working on enhancing the structure of locale
    data (nor should it be, in light of the track record), and the
    registration facility that it has provided is both inflexible and
    totally insufficient, ignoring the opportunities provided by CLDR is a
    major disservice to your user community, nominally justified only by
    some unjustifiable formality.

    As the editor of CEN Workshop Agreement 14094:2001 on European
    Culturally Specific ICT Requirements (which, in spite of being somewhat
    outdated, is available for a free download at the CEN website), I wrote:
    Note: Thus, each nation and cultural group is strongly urged to:
    1. review that their inherent language and other cultural requirements
    are covered herein and
    2. agree on one or more sets of the default values and submit them for
    registration.
    This is an area, where one cannot depend on the others, except for the
    implementation once the homework has been done. Not doing this homework
    is tantamount to a public denial of the need for others to respect one's
    cultural background.

    Sincerely, Erkki I. Kolehmainen