Re: U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI not usable in other scripts as "hook below"?

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 22:01:35 CDT

    Richard Wordingham wrote:

    >> The font could perform a glyph substitution of subscript to adscript
    >> iota following any uppercase letter to cover these exceptional usaes
    >> (my Biblical Greek font will) but Gentium does not.

    > Do you do it for upper case Latin as well? Surely there's no tradition
    > there to influence the choice of glyph!

    No, but what might happen in some OT fonts is that the subscript iota inherits the GPOS
    mark positioning of other below combining marks in the same category. A font is likely to
    have a group of below-centre marks, all of which are positioned using the same anchor
    attachment points on base glyphs.

    > But part of my point was that it doesn't have to be adscript at all - it
    > may legitimately be subscript with all characters.

    Well yes and no. Pretty much any Greek typography expert will probably tell you that the
    adscript is correct following the relevant uppercase Greek vowels in the polytonic system.
    One does sometimes see subscript iotas in this context, and they are understood by
    readers, but they are not correct according to the canons of quality Greek publishing.

    What happens with the ypopegrammeni in smallcaps is interesting...

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC         john@tiro.ca