Re: Question about some characters

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 20:01:27 CDT

    Upshur Whittock wrote,

    > I've had no trouble so far at all with any of them
    > until the Coptic. I can make the characters and put
    > the code in for all the characters, and they show up
    > in the font making program as being part of the font,
    > but when I open a program like Word and try to put
    > the characters in a document, they are nowhere in the
    > "insert symbol" window. In other words, the program
    > doesn't seem to understand that these symbols are part
    > of the font. Is this just that most computer programs
    > haven't caught up to unicode yet, or is there something
    > I can do to teach my computer that these letters are in
    > the font?

    The new Coptic range wouldn't be expected to be supported by any
    software made before the range becomes official.

    It should be possible to copy/paste Coptic text into an application,
    though. Unfortunately, I don't have any Unicode Coptic text samples.
    If anybody does, please let us know.

    Meanwhile, try copy/paste on this:
    11392, Ⲁ COPTIC CAPITAL LETTER ALFA
    11393, ⲁ COPTIC SMALL LETTER ALFA
    11394, Ⲃ COPTIC CAPITAL LETTER VIDA
    11395, ⲃ COPTIC SMALL LETTER VIDA
    11396, Ⲅ COPTIC CAPITAL LETTER GAMMA
    11397, ⲅ COPTIC SMALL LETTER GAMMA
    ⲀⲁⲂⲃⲄⲅⲆⲇⲈⲉⲊⲋⲌⲍⲎⲏⲐⲑⲒⲓⲔⲕⲖⲗⲘⲙⲚⲛⲜⲝⲞⲟⲠⲡⲢⲣⲤⲥⲦⲧⲨⲩⲪⲫⲬⲭⲮⲯⲰⲱ

    I've made a simple screen keyboard for input of Unicode Coptic. It's
    like the screen keyboards linked on my page:
    http://home.att.net/~jameskass/screenkeyindex.htm

    If anyone wants a copy, ask me off list. I couldn't get the Coptic
    letters to display in MSIE 6, but they display reasonably well using
    Mozilla Firebird. (Note that MSIE 6 will display Coptic characters,
    but not on this screen keyboard page. With the java script, there's
    apparently some kind of font selection conflict.)

    Best regards,

    James Kass