Re: Frequent incorrect guesses by the charset autodetection in IE7

From: Erkki Kolehmainen (erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 08:12:44 CDT

    Just a couple of comments on Philippe Verdy's note of 15.7.2006 on ISO
    vs. Unicode:

    By and large, ISO is not an organization run by governments. Its
    membership consists of national standards organizations, most of which
    are associations with their primary relation with all kinds of
    industries. Each NSO sets its own rules (and fees) of participation and
    representation. ISO doesn't have its own technical committee on
    Information Technology, since JTC1 is a joint technical committee of ISO
    and IEC, and both ISO and IEC members can vote in the final ballot.
    Earlier in the process, each participating P-member, as defined at at
    the SC level, has one vote (and the P-membership has a certain level of
    activity as a prerequisite), the observers (O-members) can comment.

    My experience with both ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2 (where I've in the last ten
    years participated in many meetings of SC2 and its WG2 and now dissolved
    WG3) and Unicode tells me that, of the two, Unicode is much more active
    in pursuing character set standardization of rare or extinct scripts and
    characters. Many national bodies tend to lose their interest in the work
    of SC2 (if they ever had any) once their own character set problems have
    been resolved, whereas the IT industry seems to better understand their
    general responsibility for the common good. The Unicode Consortium seems
    to also have a much better access to (academic) experts than the formal
    standards organizations, since Unicode provides a unique, open worldwide
    forum for debate. It should be noted, though, that SC2/WG2 meetings are
    an open forum for experts to participate and submit proposals to.

    The CLDR effort is another example of Unicode's success in dealing with
    support for cultural diversity issues in ICT. Earlier attempts have met
    with little if any success, but this one has grown strong. It can and
    needs to be refined, and the errors that CLDR 1.4 still contains can be
    corrected by the active participation of us all for CLDR 1.5.

    Incidentally, one can seldom withdraw a standard. There are lots of
    stabilized standards, though.

    I hope this clarifies the general level picture. I could dwell into the
    details, too, but I won't, at least for now.

    Sincerely, Erkki I. Kolehmainen