Re: Draft 3 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK SIGN in the BMP

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 06:55:12 CDT

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > So which is it? The noble heart-shaped exclamation point that no one
    > no one no one uses? Or the accursed do-not-litter man, ubiquitous but
    > shunned by the UTC?

    This time, I admit that I strongly support this point of view. There are tons of symbols seen everyday on lots of products that would merit encoding, notably those marking the compliance with a industry or national standard.

    So where are the symbols for:
    * Do not dispose in dustbin
    * DC plug/jack polarity
    * USB plug
    * indicator symbols for WiFi or BlueTooth activation (button or LED)
    * Do not clean with chlore, dry cleaning
    * Temperature for pressing clothes
    * Do not drink, do not eat
    * Various danger warning signs (electric shock, corrosive, hot temperature, laser beam, high power wave emission, abrasive, explosive, easily inflammable, can cut fingers or feet, toxic gas...)
    * Do not expose to direct sun light, water/moisture, dust
    * Do not open, content sealed
    * Keep frozen/cool/warm (a thermomether, beside which we would write separately the extremum temperatures)
    * Battery meters (fully charged, high, half charge, low, nearly empty, as found on most mobile phone displays)
    * Triangular sound volume gauge symbols (also used as antenna reception level)
    * Antenna symbol
    * All those standard symbols that you find below any notebook or on its electric adaptor, and on many electrical devices, including in their documentation (I don't mean here the logos of standard organisations, which may be severely restricted or copyrighted, and requiring a specific agreement or that could be simply forbidden for reproduction, but possibly FCC or CE conformance symbols which are open for use without prior agreement provided that its use is honnest as this is a contract signature from the manufacturer certifying that conformance has been tested and is waranteed to consumers and legit to import, sell or use in the intended market)