Re: kurdish sorani

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 14:31:56 CDT

    Andries Brouwer wrote:

    > If you agree that I represent the glyph-choosing rules correctly,
    > then you must conclude that U+06BE is incorrect for Uyghur,

    I don't agree that you represent the glyph-choosing rules for Uighur correctly. My
    colleagues and I examined dozens of Uighur publications and also manuscripts last year
    while preparing a report on Uighur font development, and our conclusion was that the
    shaping for the Uighur h is directly analogous to that of the Urdu two-eye heh, and that
    differences were stylistic and superficial. This was attested not only in Uighur language
    publications, but also in grammars and in our consultation with native Uighur experts
    teaching at the university level. It also corresponds to the independent conclusion made
    by Thomas Milo of Decotype (Amsterdam) in his own investigation, and with the expert
    advice sought by Microsoft Typography in the development of the MS Uighur font for Windows
    Vista.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com