Re: Test your web browser! Unicode 5.0 charts in HTML on French Wikipedia

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 21:09:30 CST

    Philippe Verdy wrote,

    > You're wrong. The article names use the capital on Unicode. Look
    > at the effective title displayed after you link there.
    >
    > What I forgot is the "wiki/" part in the full URL.

    O.K..

    > But even then, Wikipedia
    > proposes you the correct name and redirects you immediately to
    > the articles (so even these links DO work).

    Earlier I only read the 404 file not found error message. But, I see
    that Wikipedia does propose the correct link. However, on my system
    the automatic redirection to the correct link does not work, even after
    waiting a full minute. Maybe my browser security settings forbid
    such redirection.

    Unfortunately, many of the charts display with "missing glyph" boxes,
    even though I have fonts installed and the browser properly configured
    to display these characters. This seems to happen mostly in the Latin/
    Greek/Cyrillic ranges. What might be happening is that the author,
    in the CSS sheet, has specified a list of fonts beginning with "Arial Unicode MS".

    When MSIE 6.0 finds a page linked to a style sheet such as this, it first looks
    for "Arial Unicode MS". If the browser does not find "Arial Unicode MS", it
    is very happy to display the missing glyph boxes from regular "Arial" and
    disregards the rest of the font suggestion list.

    This must happen to a lot of other people, too. Many people do not have
    the "Arial Unicode MS" font, but the regular "Arial" font is ubiquitous.

    The web pages for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in many
    languages suffer from this same "error". They are not readable on
    many systems. (Unless they've been fixed since the last time I looked.)

    Best regards,

    James Kass