RE: extracting code values from PDF?

From: Rick Cameron (Rick.Cameron@businessobjects.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 12:03:36 CST

    Here's my understanding of how PDF files are structured, and why copying
    & pasting from the file cited by Andreas does not work. Anyone who has
    better knowledge of the mysteries of PDF, please feel free to correct.

    A PDF file doesn't actually contain characters; it contains fonts and
    glyph indices. In order for conversion to characters (Unicode or
    otherwise) to be possible, the PDF file must specify the mapping from
    glyph indices to Unicode code points (for each font, I think).

    It appears that this PDF file doesn't have this mapping for the font
    used for the Arabic characters. It looks to me like copy & paste causes
    the raw glyph indices to be interpreted as code points, either in
    Unicode or, perhaps, in my default native character set.

    Cheers

    - rick cameron