Re: Sinhala numerals

From: John Hudson (
Date: Thu Dec 28 2006 - 22:31:53 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > Sinhala experts (from Sri Lanka) said they did not know them, and the
    > evidence we had was insifficient to warrant encoding them. I would be
    > delighted to give my dream form and propose to encode them... but have
    > never found more evidence than one plate and the description at 130 in
    > Gunasekara 1891. He says:

    > "The Sinhalese had symbols of its own to present the different numerals,
    > which were in use until the betinning of the present [19th] century.
    > Arabic figures are now univerally used. For the benefit of the student
    > the old symbols are given in the plate opposite. (No. III)."

    > On that plate are unique symbols for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 20,
    > 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 (looks like a ligature of 60 and 10), 80, 90, 100, 1000.

    Michael, have you checked to see if there is any mention of these numbers in Georges
    Ifrah's _The Universal History of Numbers_? I have found this book quite useful in terms
    of information on historical numeric systems. Of course, Ifrah might simply repeat
    information from Gunasekara...

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks
    Vancouver, BC
    Marie Antoinette was a woman whose core values were chocolate,
    sex, love, nature and Japanese ceramics. Frankly, there are
    worse principles of government than that.  - Karen Burshtein