Re: Public Review Issue Unicode Technical Report #25, "Unicode Support for Mathematics"

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 09:01:55 CST

Jon Hanna <jon at hackcraft dot net> replied to Philippe Verdy:

>> On the opposite, this paragraph does not speak about U+00AA (feminine
>> ordinal mark) and U+00BA (masculine ordinal mark) despite their
>> meaning is clearly derived from reagular small letters a and o.
>
> Their being derived from a and o is largely just an interesting
> historical fact, rather than any indicator of what they are now. ª is
> not a and º is not o. Similarly I and i are encoded separately from J
> and j and U and u separate from V and v.

Actually, it's not unheard of in Spanish to type plain "o" and "a"
instead of the typographical preferable ordinal marks. Since the
relevant ordinal words really do end in "o" and "a" (except "primer" and
"tercer") they provide a direct pronunciation clue, exactly like the
letters in "1st", "2nd", "3rd", etc. This isn't quite the same as I vs.
J.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/