Re: Public Review Issue Update: #100, "Giving U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT the ID_Continue Property"

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 11:04:52 CST

>> "Kóng-gī lâi kóng, chū-jiân sī ú-tiū ê choân-pō͘, sī bu̍t-chit sè-kài ê
>> it-chhè, pau-koah só͘-ū ê mi̍h kap lêng-goân. Chū-jiân ê tēng-gī tòe
>> sî-tāi teh piàn, jī-chhiáⁿ chhiâng-chāi hō͘ lâng the̍h lâi hām kî-thaⁿ
>> ê kài-liām sio pí-phēng, khó-pí kóng jîn-ûi, chhiau-chū-jiân."
>>
> Easy - they are at the three places that show the ?

I just see the three square boxes here.(also in Mozilla or in IE, with Windows XP,same thing from Vista RC1 or RC2, I can't test the support from Vista RTM as I don't have it...) But this isprobably not a system or software issue, but a font availability issue (none of the fonts Ihavetested have U+0358 assigned to some glyph, despite it is simple to position at least with a default height, without considering the case of small or capital letters where thediacritic should probably at the same height as a combining diaeresis or dot above the same base letter).

Regarding the "i" (soft-dotted) followed by U+0358 (combining dot above left), should the soft dot above i disappear? If not, then can you make the distinction with ï (with diaeresis)? My opinion is that the soft dot above the normal i does not disappear even in this case, because U+0358 does not have the correct combining class and does not stack above the letter but after it, on the left of the soft dot or of another diacritic combining above it.