Re: writing Chinese dialects

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 22:47:30 CST

    On Jan 25, 2007, at 6:51 PM, Arne Götje (高盛華) wrote:

    > Further more I'd like to notice, that Hong Kong has released the HKSCS
    > standard, which contains more than 4000 additional characters compared
    > to Big5. Some of these characters are in Extension A and B of Unicode.
    > The HKSCS standard contains characters for Cantonese as used in Hong
    > Kong and additional characters used by the government.
    > Both, Hong Kong and Macao have members in the IRG, who contribute
    > locally used characters.

    The weakness of HK SCS is that the government did not do active
    research; they solicited input, and there are several hundred
    Cantonese-specific characters that didn't get in because nobody asked
    for them.

    At the same time, the current support (with Extension C) for Cantonese
    is very good and once Extension D is done it should be reasonably
    complete.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com