Re: ZWJ, ZWNJ and VS in Latin and other Greek-derived scripts

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 06:00:03 CST

    John H. Jenkins wrote on Saturday, January 27, 2007 5:43 AM

    > There is general agreement that having ZWNJ mark where ligation must not
    > take place is a reasonable suggestion. There is also general agreement
    > that having ZWJ mark exceptional places where ligation is obligatory is
    > reasonable.
    >
    > The major push-back is from people who object to the idea that ZWJ should
    > be used to mark where ligation would be desirable.

    So how would they handle the English words 'brae' and 'does' (ligature
    prohibited) and 'Ca‍esar' and 'co‍elom' (ligature optional)? Should the
    first two be spelt with ZWNJ? Partly the problem here is that the English
    writing system is a mixture of systems, but that goes for many
    long-established writing systems. I'm not at all sure how these rules can
    sensibly be applied for all languages using the Latin script - isn't there a
    principle that plain text should be renderable, without using language
    identification, without looking misspelt?

    Richard.