Re: Proposing a DOUBLE HYPHEN punctuation mark

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 15:07:57 CST

    From: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Adam Twardoch wrote:
    >> 2. Currently, some applications cant deal with such encoding properly (soft
    >> hyphen followed by a hard hyphen). They give the hard hyphen a higher
    >> priority than the soft hyphen that occurs right before it. They treat the
    >> hard hyphen as a natural hyphenation point and hyphenate right after it,
    >> without visualizing the extra hyphen.
    >
    > Yes, I noticed that when I tried it and then realized that the normal
    > hyphen will allow a line break, so the soft hyphen is pretty useless.

    Shouldn't it be regulated in the UAX that treats line breaking opportunities, so that no opportunity occurs after a normal HYPHEN that follows a SHY, so that this opportunity will occur only between SHY and HYPHEN, and the regular hyphen will then be split to the next line but never left alone on the previous line?

    If not, then the alternative encoding would be something like:
    SHY, HYPHEN, ZWNBSP
    or better:
    SHY, HYPHEN, WJ (word joiner)