Re: Query for Validity of Thai Sequence

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 20:14:23 CST

    Lokesh Joshi wrote on Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:45 AM
    Subject: Query for Validity of Thai Sequence

    > If possible can anyone pls confirm that the thai unicode sequence:
    >
    > U+0E25 (THAI CHARACTER LO LING) U+0E37 (THAI CHARACTER SARA UEE)
    > U+0E4C(THAI CHARACTER THANTHAKHAT)
    >
    > is a valid sequence, as far i have been knowing thai this seems to be an
    > invalid sequence, only in above vowels, SARA I (U+0E34) is valid before
    > THANTHAKHAT.

    Well, I think it's banned by WTT (wing thuk thi 'runs everywhere') 2.0, but
    that wasn't officially endorsed by even the Thai government, let alone
    Unicode.

    > If possible can anyone point me to some valid document for this.

    Thanthakhat functions as a 'tone mark' ('register mark' would be a more
    accurate description, but the Chong headings use the Thai word /wannayuk/ in
    an indigenised spelling) in the recently developed Thai-script Chong
    orthography. I can't find the precise combination in the scant materials on
    the web, but if you look at the Chong vowel and tone chart on p21 (tones
    only on p22) of
    http://www.unescobkk.org/fileadmin/user_upload/aims/Pattaya_SCB_Jun05/Chong_Language_-_Part_1.pdf ,
    it's hard to see any reason why the combination should not occur. There's
    a fuller description of the language available via
    http://www.thapra.lib.su.ac.th/objects/thesis/fulltext/thapra/Sirikan_Chareontham/Content.pdf -
    I've only glanced through it. This description does not seem to use any
    orthography for Chong, merely transcription.

    Does Vista allow the combination?

    Richard.