Re: BOCU-1 spec

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2007 - 09:05:02 CST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > Are you sure that this (individual claims) is required? I've seen
    > comments about US patents where infringement is demonstrated only when
    > *all* claims are infringed. If you drop only only claim (for example
    > some details about the implementation technics), and replace it by
    > something else not covered in that patent, then it is not the same
    > product, and it is not patented.

    I'm not a lawyer, but it seems that if that were the case, it would be
    rather counterproductive to list pages and pages of specific claims.

    Maybe you are right and I can create an alternative encoding that, say,
    treats the range U+0020 through U+003F the same way that BOCU-1 treats
    U+0020 alone. Sometimes it would yield better compresson, sometimes
    worse.

    The rest of your post, including the international scope of patents and
    the potential conflict between IBM's patent and the X license, I would
    not touch without legal advice.

    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/