Livre tournois (historical currency) symbol

From: David Sewell (dsewell@virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 15:38:23 CST

    Hello from a first-time contributor.

    I'm involved in preparing a digital edition of The Papers of Thomas
    Jefferson, published in its print version by Princeton University Press.
    This edition uses a special character for the "livre tournois" symbol.
    The livre tournois was in use for several centuries, until the end of
    the 18th century:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livre_tournois
      http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livre_tournois

    Here is a page scan of the abbreviations table from PTJ showing the
    symbol:

      http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/images/livre-tournois.png

    and a larger rescaled version of the symbol:

      http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/images/livre-tournois2.png

    This is a request for feedback on whether it is worth submitting a
    formal proposal for inclusion of this symbol; I can't find any record of
    it having been discussed before. For historical currency symbols, what
    sort of documentation would be considered the most helpful? A list of
    modern publications where the symbol occurs? Supporting documentation
    from one or more historians specializing in French history or the
    history of European currencies?

    thanks,

    David Sewell

    PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
    Email: dsewell@virginia.edu   Tel: +1 434 924 9973