Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 12:39:20 CST

    > Adam Twardoch wrote:
    >
    > > if U+1E9E is added to Unicode, will the casing rules be changed so
    > > that ß (U+00DF) uppercases to U+1E9E by default?

    As Andrew West said, the answer to that is no, and the proposal
    itself says so.

    Frank Ellermann wrote:

    > That's complete rubbish, there's no such thing as an "upper case ß".
    > DIN would be dissolved by law if they'd ever support this nonsense.

    I'm sorry, but it is *that* comment which is complete rubbish.
    DIN was formally represented at the WG2 meeting. It was *their*
    proposal, and it was the German NB arguing for it at the meeting,
    and of course also voting for the relevant resolution.

    Read the proposal itself, WG2 N3227R. It is publicly available:

    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/N3227.pdf

    (Make sure your Acrobat version is up-to-date, as the document is
    using some feature that will crash older versions.)

    And its source is: Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN), Technical
    Committee NIA-01-29-01 Coded Character Sets.

    If you have a problem with that, please take it up with DIN, but
    it would be preferable not to make erroneous statements about
    it on this list.

    --Ken