Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 09:36:09 CST

    At 15:20 +0200 2007-05-04, Frank Ellermann wrote:

    >I did, and the number of "capital ß" presented in this memo is zero.
    >If I'd write GROSZES@ESZETT.INVALID on a tombstone the "@" is still
    >an "@" and not a "capital @".

    "@" isn't a letter, although it contains one. The
    sharp s is a letter, like "w", derived of an
    original ligature between "s" and "z". It has
    *acquired* typographic case, and its shape
    typically has a greater width and is often of a
    different shape than its lower-case parent.

    >Yes, it's irresponsible and harmful,
    >misrepresenting an ordinary ß in various
    >contexts of capital letters as a fictitious
    >"capital ß".

    As a type designer I maintain, with the
    proposers, that the design of the capital in
    those examples is in fact different from "an
    ordinary ß".

    >The interesting glyph on these pages is the old long-s z ligature,
    >not the (roughly) long-s Z ligature used as "ß". Everybody is free
    >to use a slighly larger version of lower case letters or a slightly
    >smaller version of upper case letters for some nice visual effects,
    >but that's no new character.

    Using a slightly larger version of it in an
    all-caps context is evidence of the acquisition
    of a typographic case pair. (It is not at present
    a formally orthographic case pair and may never
    be one.)

    >That's not the case, and it would result in some "worldwide upgrade"
    >madness, not limited to "permitting" ß in IDNAbis for domain labels
    >after it suddenly got a fictitious "upper case" companion.

    The rules for normative German orthography and
    domain labels may never recognize this character.
    The fact that there is a normative German
    orthography and domain labels which do not
    consider a capital ß is **not** justification for
    refusing to encode the character, which has been
    demonstrated to exist to the satisfaction of a
    good many people who work in the area of
    character set technology.

    >Well, the person who has signed this proposal works for the German
    >Home Office. I'll try to ask them why they wish to spend billions
    >for the software upgrades required for this obscure dupe of "ß".

    Normative case-mapping is not affected by the
    addition of this character. It would not be
    unless there were a normative and obligatory
    orthographic reform which paired ss-SS and ß-*B
    with explicit round-trip requirement. It is
    unlikely that this would happen in the
    foreseeable future.