Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 13:50:11 CST

    Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2007 um 20:42 schrieb John Hudson:

    JH> But I still don't think it is anything other than a glyph variant of SS.

    All lower case letters (at least of the original Latin alphabet)
    have developed as glyph variants of the original (now uppercase)
    letters. Now, these letters are encoded with assigned case properties.
    If these properties were not there, one can argue that c is simply a
    glyph variant of C to the same extent that uppercase-ß is discussed
    to be a glyph variant of lowercase-ß. But the lowercase-ß is
    has the lowercase property. This alone makes an uppercase-ß a different
    character, as it has the uppercase property. Ihe similarity of the
    common ß glyphs are not more relevant than the similarity of the common c
    glyphs (which tends to be even stronger).

    --
    Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2007 um 20:39 schrieb John Hudson:
    JH> ... in a typographically sophisticated OpenType font,
    JH> one might find a variant glyph for the @ that is raised to align with all caps settings or
    JH> might even ... use an uppercase form of A within the @ loop.
    The @ is a symbol without any case properties. Thus, you compare
    apples and oranges here.