RE: The glyph of the CAPITAL SHARP S

From: George W Gerrity (g.gerrity@gwg-associates.com.au)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 09:17:05 CDT

    I don't find any of the proposals too satisfactory: the Capital Sharp
    S glyph should be derived from a ligature of Latin Capital letters SS
    or SZ, not from a cursive lower-case ligature or from a lower-case
    long s. The problem is that neither pair form a nice ligation,
    although I did try the SZ.

    However, suppose we use the glyph form Latin Capital Letter Ezh (U
    +2169) for the Z. In that case, a rather pleasant-looking and
    unmistakable glyph can be formed with Latin Capital S on the left,
    Latin Capital Letter Ezh on the right, with the ligature on the top.

    Could one of the typographers paste together such a glyph using a
    serif font style — with several variations — for comment?

    George
    ------
    Dr George W Gerrity Ph: +61 2 6386 3431
    GWG Associates Fax: +61 2 6386 4431
    P O Box 229 Time: +10 hours (ref GMT)
    Harden, NSW 2587 PGP RSA Public Key Fingerprint:
    AUSTRALIA 73EF 318A DFF5 EB8A 6810 49AC 0763 AF07