RE: glottal stop

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 15:54:50 CDT

    Petr Tomasek wrote:
    > William J Poser wrote:
    > >
    > > A nice example of the problems created by using apostrophe
    > > for glottal stop (and glottalization of the preceding consonant)
    > > is found in Carrier. This convention was introduced in the days
    > > of typewriters, when apostrophe and right single quote were the same.
    > > MS Word and other word processors, however, are prone to think that
    >
    > But this is a problem caused by the Microsoft's hegemony and
    > it's way of thinking "we are more clever than the stupid user"
    > not a fault of using apostrophe to denote glottal stop.

    What Microsoft did is not relevant here. In fact the problem persists since
    much longer time, when typewriters were introduced (and IBM did MUCH more
    than Microsoft in this area with its typewriters and terminals sold in US.

    I'd say the same remark about telegraphic systems, including telex widely
    used by journalists to exchange news and create articles for newspapers, or
    about past US legal publications, or official population records for people
    names, and the official transcription of place names.

    Really Microsoft is only influent since about 20 years, a very short time
    face to the other long incorrect use of the quote for about 150 years...