Devanagari composing help needed

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 17:28:48 CDT

    An acquaintance of mine received some Hindi text that was translated. The
    translator was apparently someone who had never heard of Unicode since the
    font he/she used is Kurti Dev 010 (krdv010.ttf -
    http://www.deoria.nic.in/h_font/h_font1.htm), which is a font that's mapped to
    the ASCII range for Devanagari.

    So I set out using BabelPad to construct a proper UTF-8 string for my
    acquaintance. I have everything switched over, except for 2 characters that
    kind of confuse me.

    The font maps the first to:

    "V~zh

    Which I traced to:

    " = 0937 (ssa) 094d (virama)
    V = 091f (tta)
    ~ = 094d (virama)
    z = is a mystery to me, it looks like small slash cutting half-way through the
        curve of tta
    h = 0940 (ii)

    I tried to construct this as 0937 + 094d + 091f + 094d + ZWJ + 0940 and within
    BabelPad this looks good. Firefox, however, doesn't like it. Neither does
    Opera. Internet Explorer, however, shows it as I expected it. Am I composing
    this correctly? And what could that 'slash'-like glyph be? I cannot find any
    decent mapping of it.

    The second maps to:

    Kk

    Which I traced to:

    K = no idea, it looks like 0907 (i), but without the connecting part to the
        top line, but instead connecting to the right to a 093e (aa)
    k = 093e (aa)

    Any ideas are very welcome. :)

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
    The heart has reasons of which reason has no knowledge...