Re: Devanagari composing help needed

From: Ambarish Sridharanarayanan (unicode@ambarish.ksharanam.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 01:50:10 CDT

    On 06 June 2007 at 23:36, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

    > Yes, the second underlined character is definitely jña (ज्ञ). I've never
    > seen anything like the first, but my guess is that it is ṣṭrī (ष्ट्री) --
    > but it appears to have a virama underneath as well, which I don't
    > understand.

    The virama indicates that the 091f is a half-consonant (the inherent vowel
    having been suppressed). You don't see this often because most Devanagari
    consonants have half-forms and when they combine with the 0930, the
    resulting ligature has the half-form with the "forward-slash". 091f is one
    of those consonants without a half-form, so it needs an explicit virama.