Re: hexatridecimal internationalisation

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 21:45:21 CDT

    On Jun 22, 2007, at 10:28 PM, George W Gerrity wrote:
    [...]
    > You miss the point entirely.

    You're right. With this new explanation, I understand better what
    you were trying to say, and I agree with you more, although not
    completely.

    [...]
    > The point is that there is ... absolutely no future for (human-
    > readable) representations in bases larger than 16 ... We are not
    > interested in how they are represented internally (usually binary,
    > even when the maths engine uses base 4 or even mixed bases), but
    > how to represent such numbers for transfer between humans audibly,
    > or visually on some physical material. Most computer people do
    > finally get used to manipulating base 16 in their heads (for
    > instance, to turn it into a decimal number that is meaningful to
    > humans, or to do some simple addition or subtraction), but base 64?
    > Base 26? How absurd!
    [...]

    I agree that 64 is absurd. I'm not sure about 26; that's borderline
    on the number of symbols. I can deal with base 16 pretty well in my
    head, as I expect that you probably can too, thanks to years of use.
    I suspect that if I had been dealing with base 26 for as many years
    as I have base 16, I'd probably be pretty good at it too. I would
    guess that experienced Amiga developers, in their heyday, could sling
    base 32 pretty well (at least, if it was as common as I believe it was).

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser
    marnen@marnen.org