Re: Subj: uniscribe and Tamil U+0BB6

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (sisrivas@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2007 - 14:23:36 CDT

    There is a lack understanding on how Tamil writing system works and how
    Tamil grantha writing system works.
    Item 93 at the following page is an alternative representation of 0BB6.
    http://www.araichchi.net/chiirmai/phonemes/Tamil_Phonemes2.pdf

    Tamil writing system works by grouping related phonemes (example a minimum
    of 4 phonemes of "th" kind) (defined some 3000 years ago in grammar, defined
    on the principle of related phoneme and place of articulation and the
    accompanying manupulations. Please look at "
    http://www.araichchi.net/chiirmai/phonemes/th1th2th3nth.htm""th" as an
    example and I'm in the process of explaining this for all other phonemes.

    The above Tamil writing system is scalable and scientific.

    In contrast, we have another system which is ristrictive and based on pure
    phonimic system, called Tamil Grantha. There are very many varities of sh
    "s/c" phonemes defined in Tamil writing/Grammar based on ancient scientific
    principles. Where as Tamil Grantha ristricts this and make complications to
    writing system.

    We need to understand the science behind the 3000 years old efficient
    grammar and not add characters in random without understanding Tamil
    linguistics, just because Unicode likes it.

    Thanks
    Sinnathurai