RE: that font-letter spacing problem - MS Word issue?

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 03:05:01 CDT

    Peter Constable wrote,

    > I contacted Carl offline; he indicated that he's using
    > Word 2000. One issue I encountered numerous times with
    > Word 2000 is that it grouped characters from scripts it
    > wasn't specifically designed into an East Asian bucket,
    > and then would apply CJK logic - one symptom of which
    > being that the character spacing might be way off for
    > the particular script and font. That looks to me like
    > what is happening in this case.

    I contacted Carl off-list, but had to go on-line to do it.

    He reports that switching to the Sylfaen font (which also
    happily includes Armenian) has resolved the issue for him.
    And, although he subscribed to the list in order to help
    resolve this, his posts don't seem to be getting through,
    so he told me that it would be all right to pass this info
    along, and he's thankful for all the replies.

    Since the AUMS font has CJK ideographs, and the Sylfaen
    font doesn't, might a working theory be that Word 2000
    is only applying CJK logic when a font covering CJK is
    in use?

    Best regards,

    James Kass