Re: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 12:35:58 CDT

    Brian Wilson wrote:

    > I guess I don't understand why these specifications can't be encoded in the
    > most basic level. If the blank base characters for Thai and Lao are defined
    > and documented in unicode then font developers will be able to include them
    > across platforms.

    Certainly if the preferred base characters for a script were documented in the script
    description section of the Unicode Standard, that would let software developers
    implementing those scripts know that they need to include support for those characters.
    This isn't a matter of encoding, per se, but of documentation. In most cases, these
    characters are going to be generic, i.e. not script-specific. So it is a question of
    documenting what characters outside of a given script block might be expected to occur in
    text in that script.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com