RE: Karaite manuscript (was: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 23:37:21 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:
    > Yes, recreating this document with current software and fonts would be a
    > nightmare. But these things exist, and someday someone is going to want to
    > produce an electronic edition for study.

    Given that the authors of this document needed to use color to make the
    distinction between hebrew points and the Arabic text, that was entered in a
    separate flow, I fear this document can't qualify as being ever transcodable
    into plain text (simply because color color distinctions are currently not
    encodable).

    If you attempt to encode Arabic letters followed by combining Hebrew points
    and marks, you are certain that this will fail, unless you define a complete
    set of properties for Hebrew-like points for use especially in Arabic, i.e.
    you are extending the Arabic script to include the Hebrew combining marks.

    If you need some rich text format to do it, then this oddity is much less
    unfeasible; we clearly have two separate flows, the Arabic one which does
    not cause lots of problems by itself, plus the special positioning of the
    Hebrew points.

    When you say that Hebrew points were written first, I find it difficult to
    realize without the help of a pre-existing reference Arabic text ; in which
    case, the Hebrew points were still specially laid out according to Arabic,
    not the reverse.

    So the only question is how we would encode, in a rich text format, runs of
    combining vowel points and marks (without any Hebrew base characters) if we
    don't have an invisible base letter: may be we don't need it in a rich text
    format, because it can handle the case of defective sequences, and in its
    implementation making the presence of implicit space holders to avoid
    treating it as defective.