Re: Generic base characters

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 18:56:06 CDT

    Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:

    > Also I think that the data you received would still have code for dotted
    > circle included within it, even though you are not able to see it.
    > ie, It is not only a visible effect, but dotted circle is part of
    > (archived) data.

    No. The dotted circle is a display-level fallback mechanism, it is not part of the backing
    text string. It will appear or not depending on the particular combination of shaping
    engine and the font. In my browser, I don't get the dotted circle in the place you
    illustrate, but I do get one elsewhere.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com