Orthographies using ZWNJ (was: Displaying control characters)

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 06:08:23 CDT

    Am Mittwoch, 18. Juli 2007 um 12:46 schrieb Behnam:

    B> I know of at least two languages that use ZWNJ on the keyboard and
    B> ZWNJ (and ZWJ to a lesser extend) are within text encoding: Persian
    B> and Kurdish (Sorani)

    ZWNJ is also needed for German (in advanced typography and when using
    Fraktur), as typesetting rules prohibit visible ligatures e.g. at the border
    of constituents of compound nouns. E.g., "Schilfinsel" (island full of
    reed, compound of "Schilf" + "Insel") needs a ZWNJ between the f and i
    to prevent a visible fi ligature there.

    Therefore, my draft for an extended German keyboard (found on
    www.europatastatur.de ) has a ZWNJ key (AltGr + X).

    - Karl Pentzlin