Re: Generic base characters

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (sisrivas@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 18:44:03 CDT

    Yes, orthography is the 1st chapter in the Grammar
    It also includes phonology, (may be exactly as it is now defined by IPA and
    more).
    Please view my partially completed chart at
    http://www.araichchi.net/chiirmai/phonemes/Tamil-IPA-chart.pdf
    The authography is based on place of articulation and the accompanying
    manipulations.
    (Note: This chart is not yet complete. It would take a three diamensional
    chart to resonably explain what is said and I'm struggling to define such a
    chart at present.) It is also worth noting that Grammar does not defines the
    shapes of characters, but the writing system. Does authography includes the
    shape of chars?

    1.5 and 1.6 states how to write elongated (I call it longer than long)
    phonemes/vowels.
    http://www.araichchi.net/chiirmai/phonemes/Tamil-IPA-chart.pdf
    has my explanation, given in English.

    Of course, the Grammar expands into other very serious chapters that can be
    referenced, when it becomes necessary.
    .
    Regards
    Sinnathurai