Re: Titles and headings in Georgian script

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 12:18:04 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > I am not sure if font technology supports this appropriately. The best
    > analogue is SMALL CAPS, but the question is how to build that into a
    > font and then getting HTML or other word processors to invoke it.

    At the font level, if the headline forms of the Georgian letters are provided as glyph
    variants (as distinct from a headline font in which these are the default forms), the
    obvious layout feature to employ in the OpenType model would be the <titl> Titling Forms
    feature. This is accessible in professional design and publishing apps, but not in most
    word processors or via standard HTML/CSS.

    The easiest solution would be a dedicated headline font, in which the appropriate forms
    are directly encoded as the default representation of the Georgian letters. This could
    then be used in any text app, and specified in CSS (presuming appropriate distribution).

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com