Re: Titles and headings in Georgian script

From: Denis Jacquerye (moyogo@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 06:15:52 CDT

    On 7/25/07, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
    > Denis Jacquerye wrote:
    > > Envoyé: mercredi 25 juillet 2007 07:05
    > > À: Aiet Kolkhi
    > > Cc: Andreas Prilop; unicode@unicode.org; Marnen Laibow-Koser;
    > > unicore@unicode.org
    > > Objet: Re: Titles and headings in Georgian script
    > >
    > > On 7/24/07, Aiet Kolkhi <aietkolkhi@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > this is a very interesting question.
    > > >
    > > > To put it short, this is somewhat incorrect to comprare "Mtavruli"
    > > > (capital) style of contemporary Georgian alphabet (Mkhedruli) to small
    > > > caps font style. And it is definitely wrong to look for solutions in
    > > > CSS and other typographical directions, as the two "styles" or scripts
    > > > (consider as you like) are different in shape and changing size of the
    > > > characters would not give us Mtavruli style from Mkedruli script, nor
    > > > the other way around.
    > >
    > > The right solution for most applications at the moment is to use a
    > > specific font with Mtavruli.
    > >
    > > > The only solution enabling users to use Georgian Mtavruli style
    > > > together with Georgian contemporary Mkhedruli alphabet would be to add
    > > > Georgian Mtavruli style range to Unicode (or to apply fonts on
    > > > different parts of the text, one font having Georgian Mkhedruli
    > > > characters in 10D0-10FF range and the other using Mtavruli style of
    > > > Georgian Mkedruli character in the same 10D0-10FF range).
    > >
    > > This solution makes sense, although it is argued against in the
    > > Unicode documentation stating Mtavruli is just a style variant.
    > > Comparing it to Smallcaps is wrong since it implies capitals, but
    > > capitals don't exist for Mkhedruli, also Smallcaps are oftern mixed
    > > with Capitals whereas Mtavruli isn't mixed with Mkhedruli. "Titling"
    > > is really better as John Hudson suggests.
    >
    > You have missed a part of the discussion !
    >
    > "Mtavruli", as intended by the author of the question, did NOT designate
    > "Asomtavruli" but REALLY a small-capitals variant style from the default
    > Georgian Mkhedruli script (where ascenders and descenders are suppressed,
    > and all letters are made as high as capitals, all above the baseline.

    Small-capitals of non existant capitals doesn't make sense to me.
    Titling style does.

    > He EXPLICITLY stated that, and this did NOT contradict the Unicode
    > documentation that discusses "Asomtavruli" (the half part for capitals or
    > for old monumental styles of the separate Georgian Khutsuri script, the
    > other part being Nukhsuri for lowercase letters) but says nothing about
    > "Mtavruli".
    >
    > The solutions proposed were correct (even though we lack some confirmation
    > that "Mtavruli" is the correct name for this variant style), because this is
    > still the normal Mkhedruli script, with just a variant of form, so it does
    > not require reencoding the text. That's something that can't be performed by
    > reencoding it to Asomtavruli, but only through the alternate style-only
    > solutions. And just adjusting the size of the fonts will not produce the
    > expected effect, this really needs a separate font or a font made with
    > small-caps variant glyphs for the Georgian Mkhedruli letters.

    I understood encoding Mtavruli as its own block.
    I definitely agree about a Mtavruli font being the best solution.

    --
    Denis Moyogo Jacquerye --- http://home.sus.mcgill.ca/~moyogo
    Nkótá ya Kongó míbalé --- http://info-langues-congo.1sd.org/