Nenetsian letters "6" and "66"

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 15:41:14 CDT

    Nenetsian, spoken (and written!) in far northern (asian) Russia, uses
    two unusual letters: something that looks like U+2019 (RIGHT SINGLE
    QUOTATION MARK) and another one that looks like U+201D (RIGHT DOUBLE
    QUOTATION MARK). The former is also used in (at least) eight other
    cyrillic orthographies: Azeri (old and new), Ukrainian, Hill Maryan,
    Selkup, Nivkh, Inuit (Yupik) and Chukchi (any others?).
    My problem is that I want to write about the flag cravatte shown at
    < http://www.flagspot.net/flags/ru-yan-.html#tz > and I cannot quote the
    text correctly.

    I understand that the apostrophe in Ukrainian is a glyph variant of the
    hard sign (see < http://www.flagspot.net/flags/su-ua_h.html#ku > and
    let me know of mistakes!), but in other languages (Hill Maryan, Selkup,
    Nivkh, Inuit (Yupik), Chukchi and Nenets itself) it co-exists with the
    hard sign as a separate letter.

    Anyway, are U+02B9 MODIFIER LETTER PRIME and U+02BA MODIFIER LETTER DOUBLE
    PRIME what I need here, or are these two planned to be encoded as
    specifically Cyrillic letters? (Most cyrillic-to-latin transliterations
    using U+02BA for the hard sign and U+02B9 for the soft sign, per encoding
    recomendation in the standard, make the mess even greater, IMO.)

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Não me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    ICQ:193279138 http://tuvalkin.web.pt/ a água em todas as fontes |