Re: Specification for XID_Start and XID_Continue

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 17:37:56 CDT

    On 8/14/2007 1:05 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >> I ran into the same problem, and didn't really find an
    >> answer. In my code, I ended up with this:
    >>

    > Thanks for the confirmation. Still, there must have been
    > some algorithm to exclude these characters. Even if it
    > was ad-hoc, I think some additional guarantees and
    > explanations should be given. For example, will the list
    > of excluded characters be stable? Or if new characters
    > are added, could it happen that they get the ID_Start
    > property (say) but not the XID_Start property?

    The only guarantees you can rely on are those made in:

    http://www.unicode.org/standard/stability_policy.html

    Check for "IdentifierStability" in particular.

    The statement reads: "All strings that are valid default Unicode
    identifiers will continue to be valid default Unicode identifiers in all
    subsequent versions of Unicode. ...." with more explanation in UAX#31.

    Cheers,

    A./