Re: Fish (was Re: Marks)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 23:23:22 CDT

    Asmus Freytag wrote,

    >> William J. Poser wrote,
    >>
    >>> If the Christian fish is encoded, I demand equal space for the Darwin fish.
    >>
    >> Shouldn't the latter be considered a glyph variant of the former?
    >>
    >Glyph variants that have diametrically opposite semantics? I know you
    >are a font designer, but that seems to be stretching things a bit - or
    >was that still meant in the April Fools' Day context?

    Yes, it was intended to be a humorous segué and should be taken
    every bit as seriously as the demand for equal space.

    Having to maintain separate versions of fonts for true believers,
    other believers, and non-believers would be too much of a burden.

    (Seriously, such a mis-matched unification might tend to defeat
    the universal aspect of the Universal Character Set.)

    Best regards,

    James Kass