Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 17:14:06 CDT

    On 24/10/2007, Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com> wrote:

    > C. Stating this as which "absolutely require" will end up getting
    > you unclear answers, because you can generally find edge
    > cases of usage which would result in someone using a combining
    > mark.

    Indeed. Even English requires combining marks if you want to support
    Old English other than normalised Early West Saxon, e.g. œ̄þel or
    o͞eþel (oe ligature with combining macron or oe with combining double
    macron). And I guess that there are a few of us on this list who would
    say that fully supporting OE is absolutely required for English as a
    whole.

    Andrew