RE: Things to do with text

From: Michael Maxwell (mmaxwell@casl.umd.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2007 - 20:19:42 CST

    John Hudson wrote:
    > as background for my talk I'm interested in cataloguing the other things that people do,
    > or want to do, with computerised text.

    Like the things corpus linguists do to build applications, or field linguists do to analyze a language? And if so, are you interested in annotated text (footnoted text, interlinear text, text tagged for names or numbers...), or just plain text in one or more languages?

    BTW, I'm assuming by 'text' you mean 'text in a natural language', so that DNA sequences, transcriptions of gestures, or transcriptions of animal calls, and computer programs would not constitute texts (but transcribed sign language text would).

       Mike Maxwell
       CASL/ U MD