RE: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 09:12:30 CST

    Quoting Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>:

    >> From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    >> Behalf Of John Hudson
    >

    >> Given that the vertical Mongolian script evolved from a right-to-left
    >> semitic script
    >> rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, it seems to me that the obvious
    >> way to re-incorporate
    >> the script in a right-to-left setting would be to rotate it back,
    >> clockwise.
    >
    > If you were embedding Latin-script text in to a RTL script, would
    > you write the Latin-script text RTL because the writing it derived
    > from was that way?
    >
    > Doing what you suggest would present some implementation challenges:
    > it means that an application needs to rotate each run of embedded
    > Mongolian text 180¡ã.
    >
    > It also means that a trilingual reader that happens to known (say)
    > Chinese and Arabic or English and Arabic as well as Mongolian will
    > see Mongolian presented in opposite ways in polyglot text depending
    > on which language it's combined with. I don't think that would be
    > any more helpful for them than would be to present English RTL when
    > embedded in Arabic.
    >
    > IMO, the established conventions for Mongolian embedded in
    > horizontal come from the most common scenarios to date, embedded
    > into Chinese or English, and the conventions are LTR or, in short
    > runs, vertically, and I don't think embedding in Arabic or Hebrew
    > should change that.

    BTW Chinese can be written in almost any direction left to right,
    right to left,traditionally vertically and even for example in a
    square where the characters are either read clockwise or anticlockwise.

    It is very difficult to predict how people write things.

    Regards
    John Knightley

    > Peter

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net