RE: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 11:18:55 CST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    > Behalf Of James Kass

    > Is this something we really want to burden those users with?
    > arbitrary line breaks the entire content would be garbled.
    > each line-break, for if the system were allowed to insert
    > What this means is that the author must carefully select

    Somehow, we've gone a long way from "How is Mongolian embedded in Arabic and Hebrew" to "Mongolian users are required to enter text horizontally with lines reversed and then rotate 90° clockwise. I don't know how anybody made that leap, but it's pretty silly, IMO. It seems obvious to me that Mongolian users should be able to enter Mongolian text vertically with lines progressing from left to right. That has little to do with how it gets embedded in Arabic, unless perhaps you're assuming that Mongolian users cannot enter text vertically, but must enter text horizontally and rotate their page 90° -- but anybody who says that had better not also be saying technology should adapt to the needs of users.

    Peter