Re: Vai character use?

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2007 - 12:17:54 CST

    Peter Constable wrote,

    >> Also, as mentioned, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in
    >> Unicode Vai was very helpful.
    >
    > I would reserve judgment on a translation of the UDHR as evidence
    > for typography or script behaviours of a given script until I knew
    > more about how the document was created. For instance, if the Vai
    > translation of the UDHR was prepared by Joe Blow using his own
    > fonts and software, then it is only as useful for those purposes as
    > one considers Joe Blow to be.
    >
    > I'd be inclined to look for confirmation that a given document
    > reflected or was in line with the practices and expectations of
    > in-market users before using it as a guide.

    I'm inclined to graciously accept whatever is available. Does anyone
    know of any other Vai Unicode sample text?

    In the case of the U.D.H.R. in Unicode Vai, the contributors' page at
    http://www.unicode.org/udhr/contributors.html
    says the Vai translation was facilitated by Charles Riley. Charles Riley
    is one of the authors of the Vai Unicode encoding proposal.

    Best regards,

    James Kass