Re: Latin J capital letter with caron

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 15:11:42 CST

    Asmus,

    > > You can find it here:
    > >
    > No, all I can find is lower case j with caron.
    >
    > I would like to see a scan of an example of a correctly rendered
    > uppercase J with caron in context.
    >
    > A./
    > > http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Macedonian.pdf
    > > http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Serbian.pdf

    It is true that neither of those pages show the uppercase
    in context, but then they don't show *any* uppercase
    for the transliterations. But if you actually look at:

    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9
    > >
    > > Transliteration system from ISO 9.

    you'll see that ISO 9 specifies both lowercase and
    uppercase for all specified transliterations into
    Latin, presuming that uppercase letters in Cyrillic
    would be transliterated using uppercase Latin letters
    in the transliteration system.

    And the J-hacek glyph shown in the charts of ISO 9 is clearly
    the uppercase Latin J with the hacek centered firmly
    *above* the J, just like the various circumflexes
    used in that system also are.

    Furthermore, I second what Adam Twardoch said about
    the use of the rightside comma as an alternative
    rendering of hacek for capital letters being a local
    Czech and Slovak tradition. j-hacek is rather widely
    used in the Americanist orthographic systems for
    North American languages (and others). See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanist_phonetic_notation

    And I can assure you that in any such instances where
    such orthographies
    (which as practiced by linguists tend not to use
    casing) start to take on casing conventions based on
    English, Spanish or other usage, any j-hacek that is
    capitalized would most certainly simply use a capital
    J with a hacek above, and would never, ever, ever use
    a right corner comma, since the right corner comma
    in the Americanist orthographic systems is a completely
    different diacritic, indicating ejective release
    (or glottal coarticulation, in the case of resonants),
    rather than alveopalatal articulation. You can
    see the distinction in the chart cited above (although
    the rendering isn't very good) -- where you can find
    the raised commas in the rows labeled "glottalized"
    or "ejective".

    Somewhat cleaner rendering visible in:

    http://www.ing.ohio-state.edu/~odden/IntroducingPhonology/APA%20Symbol%20Guide.p
    df

    I can't just off the bat find you running text in a
    language using j-hacek where the author uses capital
    letters, but for darn tootin', when such text shows up,
    it won't be displayed with Czech/Slovak conventions
    for the hacek.

    --Ken