Re: Questionable definition of Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2008 - 09:33:22 CST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > If you just keep that, you're just missing almost all of what really
    > makes the Unicode standard, because this is just what the other
    > standard, ISO 10646, defines, but not Unicode itself.
    >
    > You need some other words to describe the fact that Unicode also maps
    > a lot of properties on top of this mappings, some of which are
    > normative, some other being informative and also being just a proposed
    > correct practice for its use (in 10646, there's also an informative
    > property, shared by Unicode, the representative glyph).

    Stéphane had asked about the sentence "Unicode is a commonly used single
    encoding scheme that provides a unique number..." in the IDN Glossary,
    and specifically asked whether "encoding scheme" was an appropriate
    term. I suggest "coded character set" as a short replacement term that
    is less incorrect.

    There is no brief term of the type appropriate for this glossary that
    fully describes all there is to say about the Unicode Standard. For
    those who need a more complete description, I would suggest the "What Is
    Unicode?" page or other wording approved by UTC.

    http://www.ewellic.org